Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all India entrance examination conducted jointly by the Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) and Seven IITs (IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Kanpur, IIT Kharagpur, IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee) on behalf of the national Coordination Board – GATE, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India.
Post Last Updated:
The score is used for admissions to post–graduate engineering programmes (M. E., M. Tech, and Ph.D) at IITs, IISc, NITs, GFTIs and other Universities in India.
This exam tests the comprehensive understanding of various undergraduate subjects in Engineering / Technology / Architecture and post-graduate level subjects in Science. Read below for exam details, eligibility, important dates and exam centres.
The eligibility criteria for candidate to attempt Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) are as given below:
There is no age limit for GATE applicants.
The candidates should be of Indian nationality. Candidates belonging to Bangladesh, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Ethiopia and United Arab Emirates will also be eligible for GATE.
The following educational qualification is required for candidates to apply for GATE 2020. There is no minimum pass percentage in the qualifying degree while applying for GATE.
|Qualifying Degree||Qualifying Degree / Examination||Description of Eligible Candidates||Year of Qualification |
not later than
|BE/ BTech/ BPharm||Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology (4 years after 10+2 or 3 years after B.Sc./Diploma in Engineering /Technology)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|BArch||Bachelor’s degree holders of Architecture (5 years course)||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|BSc (Research)/ BS||Bachelor’s degree in Science (Post-Diploma/4 years after 10+2)||Currently in the 4th year or already completed||2020|
|MSc/ MA/MCA or equivalent||Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|Int ME/ MTech (Post-BSc)||Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering/Technology (4 years program)||Currently in the 2nd/ 3rd/4th year or already completed||2022|
|Int ME/ MTech or Dual Degree(after Diploma or 10+2)||Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology (5 years program)||Currently in the 4th/5th year or already completed||2021|
|Int MSc/ Int BS-MS||Integrated M.Sc. or 5 years integrated B.S.-M.S. program||Currently in the final year or already completed||2020|
|Professional Society Examinations* |
(equivalent to BE/BTech/BArch)
|B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE (e.g., AMIE by Institution of Engineers-India, AMICE by the Institute of Civil Engineers-India and so on)||Completed Section A or equivalent of such professional courses||NA|
GATE 2020 Eligibility for Candidates who have obtained / are pursuing their qualifying degree from countries other than India
Must have completed or are in the final year of their Bachelor’s degree (duration: at least 04 years) in Engineering / Technology.
Must have completed or are in the final year of their Post Graduate (Master’s) degree (duration: at least 02 years) in any relevant science subject.
Papers for GATE 2020 examination
There are 25 subjects (papers) are there for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2020. Candidate can select only one of them for the examination. For list of papers see Exam pattern and details of GATE.
How to Apply for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) 2020?
Candidates can apply only online for GATE. The entire registration process will be done through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS). GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS website) can be accessed from the website of the respective zonal GATE Offices or from the website of the organizing institute.
A valid email id, mobile number and photo id are required to register for GATE. Scanned images of candidates’ photograph, signature and category certificate (if applicable) has to be uploaded according to the specifications mentioned by the authorities while applying.
Fees and Payments
Candidate has to pay specified fees only through online mode. That is, net banking / debit card / credit card. Fees for GATE 2020 are given below:
- Male Category (General / OBC) and Others : Rs. 1500 (Rs. 2000 with late fees during extended period).
- SC / ST / PwD and Women (All categories): Rs. 750 (Rs. 1250 with late fees during extended period).
- International Students – Dubai and Singapore: US$ 100 (US$ 120 with late fees during extended period).
- International Students – Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka and Kathmandu: US$ 50 (US$ 70 with late fees during extended period).
Important Dates for Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE)
Tentative dates for GATE exam are given below. Dates for GATE 2020 is also given for your reference.
- Release of GATE Notification: In July (Previous Year)
- Start of GATE Registration through GOAPS: September (Previous Year)
- Last Date for Registration: Near 20 days from start of registration.
- Extended Date for Registration (with late fee): 10 days from last date for registration.
- Publishing of Admit Card: January of GATE exam year
- GATE Examination Dates: February
- Release of GATE Response Sheets: February
- GATE Answer Key: February
- Announcement of Result: March
- Availability of Score Card: March – May
Important Dates for GATE 2020
- Release of GATE Notification: July 20, 2019
- Start of GATE Registration through GOAPS: September 3, 2019
- Last Date for Registration: September 24, 2019
- Extended Date for Registration (with late fee): October 1, 2019
- Last Date for Requesting Change of Examination City: November 15, 2019
- Publishing of Admit Card: January 3, 2020
- GATE 2019 Examination: February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020
- Release of GATE 2019 Response Sheets: Second week of February, 2019
- Announcement of Result: March 16, 2020
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) score is valid up to 3 years from the date of declaration of the result of the exam.
In India, exam centres are available under various zonal GATE offices. The list of zonal GATE offices are as follows:
IISc Bangalore – Website: http://gate.iisc.ac.in/
IIT Bombay – Website: http:/gate.iitb.ac.in/
IIT Delhi – Website: http://gate.iitd.ac.in/
IIT Guwahati – Website: http://iitg.ac.in/gate-jam
IIT Kanpur – Website: http://gate.iitk.ac.in/
IIT Kharagpur – Website: http://gate.iitkgp.ac.in/
IIT Madras – Website: http://gate.iitm.ac.in/
IIT Roorkee – Website: http://gate.iitr.ac.in/
International GATE – International centres
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Colombo (Sri Lanka)
Official website for 2020 GATE: http://gate.iitd.ac.in/